Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Get Better Cuts on your Cutting Machine (Klik-n-kut KNK, Pazzle, Wishblade, Silhouette, Cricut, Craft Robo)

I posted this on in the forums over at VDBC, but thought I'd pop it up here too.
For Intricate SMALL CUTS:
* Cut SLOW!! I go all the way down to 50 on my KNK Groove sometimes & it makes a big difference.
* Use your "best cutting" paper on the tricky cuts.
* Keep your matt clean, nice & sticky. I stress clean...makes a huge difference for me. I Goo Gone mine & re-spray with Krylon Easy Tack respositionable.
* If you are having trouble with a cut, enlarge it a bit if possible & see if that helps.
* (KNK specific) If you didn't get the flatbeds, use photo boxes. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for 50% off & they are the perfect size. This is important because it keeps your matt from pulling down & will really help you get good cuts. You can also use shoe boxes...just have to have the right size. You also can keep your cutter "odds & ends" in them.
* Make sure you reduce & clean up the nodes if you designed the file. If you purchased it from VDBC, it should already be good.
*from Ginger* On the intricate or lacey like cuts the slow works best but also make sure your blade is sharp. Not dull or rounded on the end.
*from Pam in SD* I use an ink brayer (like for stamping) when I put my paper on the cutting mat, to make good contact, really works great when the mat is almost worn out.
* Don't always start the cut at the same spot. I move my paper around on the matt & reset the origin so my matt doesn't get totally worn out in the same spot.

KNK SPECIFIC: Remember to change your overcut & trailing blade when you are cutting something really big or really small & intricate.
*settings came from Char I believe* regular cuts: overcut 25, trailing blade 5
Small, curvy type cuts: overcut 20, trailing blade 15. Large objects, square type shapes 9" x 9" or more: overcut 55, trailing blade 5. Mixed objects, 5" or smaller: overcut 10, trailing blade 5.

1 comment: